Today in MJJ HIStory  

Posted by Majical Child in ,

1984 - By this time, with Michael declining all requests for interviews, the world's media – tabloids especially – seized upon anything and everything remotely connected with him. And, when there was no news, too many journalists took it upon themselves to 'invent' stories, giving little or no thought to the sensitivities of the man they were ridiculing.
Finally, Michael cried 'enough is enough', by way of a statement read out at a press conference, by his manager Frank Dileo.

Michael wrote:
For some time now, I have been searching my conscience as to whether or not I should publicly react to the many falsehoods that have been spread about me. I have decided to make this statement based on the injustice of these allegations and the far reaching trauma those who feel close to me are suffering.
I feel very fortunate to have been blessed with recognition for my efforts. This recognition also brings with it a responsibility to one’s admirers throughout the world. Performers should always serve as role models who set an example for young people. It saddens me that many actually believe the present flurry of false
accusations. To this end, and I do mean end:
No, I have never taken hormones to maintain my high voice!
No, I have never had my cheekbones altered in any way!
No, I have never had cosmetic surgery on my eyes!
Yes, one day in the future I plan to get married and have a family.
Any statements to the contrary are simply untrue.
I have advised my attorneys of my willingness to institute legal action and subsequently prosecute all guilty to the fullest extent of the law.
As noted earlier, I love children. We all know that kids are very impressionable and therefore susceptible to such stories. I am certain that some have already been hurt by this terrible slander.
In addition to their admiration, I would like to keep their respect.

For all the effect Michael’s statement had, he must have wondered why he had bothered to write it.
The accusations and falsehoods not only didn’t cease, they grew ever wilder and more incredible. But, unless Michael wanted to spend the rest of his days in court, defending himself, there was precious little he could do, other than grin and bear it.

Historic: The Video Vanguard Award was renamed the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award in honor of his contributions to the culture of music videos. The first recipient of the renamed honor was Bon Jovi.

This entry was posted on 05 September 2010 at Sunday, September 05, 2010 and is filed under , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...