Today in MJJ HIStory  

Posted by Majical Child in , , , , ,

1969 - The Jackson 5ive perform at a festival conceived by Mayor Hatcher, the first black Mayor, supporting Yvonne Fair at Gilroy Stadium.


1992 - Michael Jackson perform in Dangerous World Tour concert to a capacity audience of over 32,000 at the Southwest Stadium in Ludwigshafen, Germany.

1993 - The second show of the Dangerous Tour in Singapore was cancelled. The Jackson family held a press conference in the U.S. Jermaine Jackson read a statement in support of his brother Michael before announcing that the Family plans for a special: The Jackson Family Honors.

The special is due to be filmed in December and televised in January.

2000 - Anastacia has a reputation for being a bit of a dance diva, but the truth is she can rock! Following the global success of 'I'm Outta Love', Anastacia has released her debut album 'Not That Kind'.

In an interview, Paul Cashmere of Australian Radio asked her about the day Michael Jackson called her.

"Actually, when Michael Jackson called, it was all leading up to the fact that when I did the show 'The Cut', which was the star search kind of show. I was proposed to by a lot of record companies being interested in wanting me to sign with them. In the process of all those meetings and stuff, I was meeting with MJJ, so it was inevitable to meet the presidents of all of these labels, because I was starting to get to that point. Michael Jackson was one of these people that I had to meet, as well as Tommy and Bob Jamieson and the presidents of all the great record companies, so it really was a professional situation. It wasn't like "I'm a really big fan and I want to have you autograph everything that I own", it was a phone call of admiration from a performer to a performer, as a president to an artist wanting to be signed, as an artist looking at what a label has to offer, it was that kind of conversation, but what a light conversation! He was laughing, I was laughing, we were having a great time. It was so wonderful to be able to speak to him. He's so inspiring and what a genius! Forever I'll remember that I got to speak with him on the phone. If I never get to meet him or even work with him in the future, it's the beauty of being able to be recognised by something like that."


2001 - One day after his birthday, Michael Jackson opens up the NASDAQ Stock Market in Times Square, New York and kicks off his Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Celebration, The Solo Years performances at Madison Square Garden scheduled for September 7, 2001 and Monday, September 10, 2001, which are being produced by David Gest.
Nearly 500 fans from around the world who are planning on attending the anniversary concerts on September 7 and 10 arrived a few days early to witness Michael's appearance at the NASDAQ MarketSite Tower.

Just before the market opened at 9:30 am Michael entered wearing a respectable black suit with a blue armband. He blew kisses to the hundreds of fans that were outside crowding around the building's glass walls and windows while he was introduced to NASDAQ's executive vice president David Weild and NASDAQ CEO Wick Simmons.

When Simmons presented Michael with a glass trophy Michael commented, "It's like floating in the air," speaking of an object encased in the trophy.

"Well, you're floating," Simmons told him, "right now, out there, in Times Square, on the big billboard that's up out there. You are floating so that everyone can see you."

After Michael pushed the button to open the market, NASDAQ officials presented him with a vanilla birthday cake decorated with strawberries and a 1934 Shirley Temple poster. "I love it, oh my God," he exclaimed. He then blew out the candles on the cake , and sang "Happy Birthday." He said,


"I'm deeply moved by this very special moment for me. Thank you, David, Wick and NASDAQ. Thank you so much. I love you and all the fans. Thank you."

Before he left the building he was taken on a brief tour of the NASDAQ broadcast studio, ate a piece of cake and talked and posed for pictures with some of the staffers.

Alfred R. Berkeley, Vice Chairman of NASDAQ, and David Weild, Executive Vice President, host a dinner at Tavern on The Green, in Michael's honor after the concert on Sept. 7th, joined by their event co-chairmen: Whitney Houston, Sean Lennon, Yoko Ono Lennon, Liza Minnelli, Leslie Moonves (President & CEO, CBS), Liam Neeson, Veronique and Gregory Peck, and Elizabeth Taylor. Weild said, "The NASDAQ Stock Market recognizes Michael Jackson for his extraordinary vision and commitment to excellence in the entertainment industry as well as being a humanitarian who is continually seeking creative avenues in which to help others."

Details for the Market opening ceremony are as follows:
  • The NASDAQ MarketSite building is located at 4 Times Square, at the corner of 43rd and Broadway.
  • At 9:30 a.m., Michael Jackson will preside over the market open ceremony from the broadcast studio, which faces the corner of 43rd and Broadway. The broadcast studio has large picture windows to give the public a clear, unobtrusive view into the studio from the street.
  • Nine plasma screens outline the broadcast studio, facing the street, for fans not positioned close to the windows.
  • MarketSite Tower, which is seven stories tall and is the largest stationary video wall in the world, will feature a live broadcast of the market open ceremony.
Source: nasdaq.com/newsroom.

2003 - Michael turned 45. He attended a special birthday party held in his honour; the "Celebration of Love" in Los Angeles on August 30th. The party was attended by fans and friends from all over the world and Michael gave a heartfelt thank you speech dedicated to his fans.

"Over the years we became a family. You are all my family. My children are your children and all children of the world are our children and our responsibility.

This is a time when a person reflects on the child that will always live inside him, but more importantly, the grown man that continues to emerge intellectually, but never lost his child-like innocence.

A lot of what you'll be seeing from me in the future will celebrate the youthful imagination that has always been a part of who I am, but also the adult perspective of a father and artist and member of our community.

My birthday wish is that you, my fans, will join me in some new undertakings and that we all travel into a bright future together.

I feel young enough to look into the future with great optimism."

12 year-old Trisha, from USA suffering from asthma, recounts her story of meeting the entertainer a year and a half before, via Make A Wish Foundation, one of the trusts the singer would support (for two decades). Her number one wish was to meet the entertainer and she is among the manifold children that were given the opportunity to meet him over the years.
"They told my mom and I, that we were flying to Los Angeles in three weeks to go to the Celebration Of Love concert. I screamed and cried. I couldn't wait", says/writes Trisha.

"... [At the concert], some guy ... said that Michael would like us to go up to his dressing room. So, my mother and I, plus the other 2 families that were there, walked up the narrow staircase and walked into the dressing room and he was standing in the corner, in front of the firehouse"
, she recounts.

"I was the second to walk up to him and he hugged me so tightly. His colonge got all over the shirt I was wearing, but I hugged him again and started crying. I told him I was a fan since I was 1, and he went "Wow...Thank you". I couldn't believe he said ‘Thank you’ to me. Michael and my mother were starting up a conversation about a place in Scotland from where she was, It was Lochlomond I believe. I still couldn't believe it.. The next day (Sunday), we got on a bus and drove for three ours to the Neverland ranch, where fans were loaded down the street with "Happy Birthday, King Of Pop!" banners everywhere. I [have] seen Michael pull out in his black S.U.V, I think, but wasn’t sure... That's how I got to meet Michael Jackson"
, writes Trisha on www.mjfanclub.net.

2004 - The Olympic Stadium Greece was left rocking last night (Sunday), as the games came to an end and made way for the closing ceremony. A huge party was staged featuring lots of music, mixing classics with the new and containing a spectacular array of dazzling fireworks along with lots of confetti and balloons.

One of the highlights of the evening came from gold medallists US women's soccer team, who got up on stage and danced to a rap version of Michael Jackson's ‘Thriller

This entry was posted on 30 August 2010 at Monday, August 30, 2010 and is filed under , , , , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

0 comments

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...